These Avocado Brownies are dairy free, gluten free, and will fool all of your friends! They’re so rich and fudgy, you won’t believe they’re kind of healthy.
- 4oz semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed (about ½ cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup coconut sugar*
- ½ cup cocoa powder (preferably natural, not Dutch processed)
- ¼ cup almond flour*
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt (about ¼ or so of fine salt)
- ½ cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- Prep pan and oven: Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line an 8×8 inch square pan with parchment, allowing paper to overhang on edges.
- Melt chocolate: Fill a small pot with one inch of water and bring a simmer. Add chopped chocolate to a metal or glass bowl which is large enough to fit on the pot without falling in. Place bowl of chocolate over the pot, creating a double boiler. Stir chocolate frequently as it melts. Remove from heat, as needed, to prevent chocolate from scorching. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix wet ingredients: In a large bowl, combine mashed avocado and eggs. Whisk until homogenous. Whisk in vanilla and sugar until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients: Sift cocoa, flour, coffee, baking powder and salt over the avocado and egg mixture. Stir until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Bake: Add batter to prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake in the center of the oven for approximately 20-26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean with a few crumbs attached. Make sure you’re not inserting the tester directly into a chocolate chip, or batter will look under baked.
- Cool and cut: Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan over a wire rack. Then remove brownies from pan by lifting by overhanging parchment. Cool directly over wire rack until room temperature, or serve warm. Cut into 16 squares and enjoy!
Feel free to try regular granulated sugar or brown sugar instead of coconut sugar.
If you’re allergic to nuts, I suggest trying all-purpose flour or oat flour instead.
To store, place in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to a week.
You can also freeze the brownies for up to 3 months.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 150
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 55mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
Keywords: avocado brownies, healthy brownies, gluten free brownies, dairy free brownies