I make banana bread French toast with my leftover sesame banana bread, and boy is this decadent and delicious. Bananas foster adds some extra banana goodness on top.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of allspice
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp dark rum or brandy
- 2 medium bananas (ripe but firm), sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 4, ¾ inch slices of leftover, slightly stale banana bread (such as my Sesame Banana Bread)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp milk or cream
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- Fleur de sel (or other chunky sea salt), for topping
- Make bananas foster: Warm a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Melt the butter in the pan and stir in the sugar and spices to combine. Add rum and simmer mixture for about 2-3 minutes or until the alcohol is somewhat cooked off. Gently fold in the bananas. Turn off heat and stir in the cream. Cover and keep warm.
- Prep French toast: While the bananas foster is cooking, preheat a large skillet for the French toast over medium heat. Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and salt in a wide bowl.
- Cook French toast: Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the pan per 2 slices of bread. Dip the bread in the egg mixture, coating on both sides, and place in the pan. Cook about 2 minutes on each side or until browned, cooking in batches if needed.
- Serve: Top the French toast with the bananas foster and a sprinkle of Fleur de sel. Enjoy.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Pan fry
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice & 1/4 of bananas
- Calories: 436
- Sugar: 43g
- Sodium: 157mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 68g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: banana bread french toast, sesame banana bread