The keys to perfect French toast are good quality, day-old bread, and generous amounts of butter, cinnamon and real maple syrup.
- 4 slices day-old bread, such as challah, brioche or country white bread*
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp whole milk or cream
- Dash vanilla extract
- Dash of cinnamon, plus more for serving
- Dash of salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- Make batter: Beat together eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Heat pan: Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Melt butter in pan, using 1 tablespoon for every 2 slices of bread.
- Dip & cook: Dip bread in egg mixture, coating thoroughly, and shake off any excess before adding to pan. Cook French toast for about 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Cook in 2 batches, if needed.
- Serve: Sprinkle with cinnamon, drizzle with warm maple syrup and top with powdered sugar, if desired. Enjoy.
- If using fresh bread, place on baking sheet in a 325°F oven and partially dry out for about 3-4 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Pan fry
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 slices French toast
- Calories: 399
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 791mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Protein: 16g
Keywords: french toast, classic, basic, challah