This punchy Basil Mint Pesto is made with almonds and tangy, pecorino cheese. It pairs wonderfully with a variety of meat, vegetable and grain dishes.
- 1 cup basil leaves, loosely packed
- ½ cup mint leaves, loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons almonds or walnuts
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, or to taste
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Toast nuts: Preheat oven to 350F. Place almonds on a sheet tray. Toast for approximately 8 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant, stirring half way through. Transfer to a plate and cool completely.
- Grind nuts, garlic and herbs: In a food processor or blender, combine the almonds and garlic, and pulse until finely ground. Add herbs and process until finely chopped.
- Add oil and season: Slowly stream in the olive oil, while blending. Stir in cheese and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Enjoy.
Double or triple this recipe, if desired.
Use parmigiano reggiano or parmesan cheese instead of pecorino, if desired.
To store, place in a jar and coat the top with enough olive oil to cover. This will create an airtight seal. Store in the fridge for a couple weeks or in the freezer for at least 4 month. Omit cheese if planning to freeze.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Grind, blend
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 2 tbsp
- Calories: 241
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 43mg
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: basil mint pesto, mint pesto