When I spotted beautiful, heirloom carrots, I immediately started brainstorming ways to cook them. Then an old recipe of mine came to mind.
In the past, I made a bulgur salad with cumin-roasted carrots, pine nuts and parsley. Definitely an amazing combination. I decided to tweak that recipe to create something that is more warming, colorful and reminiscent of the season.
Roasting these rainbow carrots with a mixture of Indian spices really did them justice. To compliment the sweet and spicy flavors, I dressed the bulgur with a bright, lemon-honey vinaigrette. Pistachios and mint seemed like a natural pairing with these flavors. To top it off, I couldn’t resist taking advantage of the pomegranates in season. The sweetness, texture and bright red hue fit in just right here.
Roasting these rainbow carrots with a mixture of Indian spices really did them justice. To compliment the sweet and spicy flavors, I dressed the bulgur with a bright, lemon-honey vinaigrette. Pistachios and mint seemed like a natural pairing to this bulgur with spiced carrots.
- ½ lb (about 14-16 medium) carrots (preferably heirloom), peeled
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 1/8 tsp hot paprika (or sweet paprika plus 1-2 pinches cayenne)
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1/3 cup loosely packed mint leaves, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup toasted, salted pistachios, roughly chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp honey or agave
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Pomegranate seeds, for topping (optional)
- Heat oven & boil water: Preheat oven to 425°F. Bring a medium sized pot of salted water to a boil.
- Roast carrots: Combine carrots, oil and spices on a baking sheet. Toss to coat, and roast 25-30 minutes or until tender, flipping half way through. Allow to cool slightly; slice into 1-inch lengths, discarding stems.
- Cook bulgur: While carrots roast, add bulgur to boiling water, reduce to a rapid simmer and cook 5-6 minutes or until tender. Drain and transfer to a boil.
- Make dressing: In a small bowl, prepare the dressing. Whisk together lemon juice, zest and honey. Slowly stream in olive oil, whisking constantly until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve: For assembly, combine bulgur, carrots and pistachios; and toss to coat in dressing. Stir in mint leaves right before serving. Taste and adjusting seasoning, if needed. Eat warm or chilled. Garnish with pomegranate seeds, if desired. Enjoy.
- Category: Side
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 1/4 of bulgur
- Calories: 324
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 48mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: couscous, carrots, pomegranate, pistachios