This honey cardamom ice cream is a unique floral treat which is complimented perfectly by roasted plums and salty, pistachio granola.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp green cardamom pods, cracked
- ½ cup light to medium honey (I used orange blossom)
- Dash of salt
- 6 egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 ½ tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 ½ tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Fleur de sel, for sprinkling
- 4 ripe plums (I prefer red), halved and pitted
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Steep cream base: Combine cream, milk, cardamom, honey and salt in a medium saucepan. Warm over medium heat until mixture comes to simmer. Cover and remove from heat. Allow mixture to steep about 5-10 minutes or until the cardamom flavor is apparent, yet subtle. Remove the cardamom, using a spider or slotted spoon. If you allow the mixture to steep too long, it will become bitter.
- Cook ice cream: Place a sieve over a large bowl and set aside. Bring cream mixture back to a simmer over medium heat. Beat egg yolk and sugar until combined. Temper eggs by spooning about 2-3 ladlefuls of the cream mixture into the yolk mixture while constantly whisking. Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly pour egg mixture into cream mixture, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk for about 3-5 minutes or until custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Cool & freeze ice cream: Remove from heat. Pour ice cream base through the sieve into the bowl to remove any lumps. Stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature. Chill in fridge at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours. Freeze using an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Let set completely in freezer. Enjoy.
- Prep for granola: Preheat oven to 225°F and line a baking tray with a silpat or parchment.
- Mix granola: Combine syrup, sugar, oil and salt in a bowl. Microwave for about 30-60 seconds or until sugar is dissolved. Place oats and pistachios on tray and toss to coat in maple mixture.
- Bake: Bake for a total of 2-3 hours, stirring every 20 minutes, or until maple mixture has thickened to just coat the oats and nuts. Push granola into a tight bunch to encourage clusters to form. Lightly season with fleur de sel. Cool to room temperature. Store in the fridge.
- Prep for plums: For the plums, preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking tray with a silpat or parchment.
- Bake plums: Toss halved plums in butter, sugar and salt. Place on baking sheet, cut side down. Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until softened and beginning to release juices. Peel and discard skin. Chop and combine with any juices from the baking tray.
- Serve: Scoop ice cream into bowl and top with chopped plums and granola.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Simmer, Freeze, Roast
- Cuisine: American, Indian
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup ice cream + 1 1/2 tbsp granola + 1/2 pear
- Calories: 466
- Sugar: 37.2 g
- Sodium: 259.8 mg
- Fat: 29 g
- Saturated Fat: 12.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 43.8 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 9.8 g
Keywords: cardamom ice cream, honey ice cream, roasted plums with ice cream