These Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Muffins have the perfect dome, fluffy interior and crunchy sugar topping.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp kosher salt (½ tsp fine salt)
- 1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream or plain, full-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons (3oz) buttermilk or buttermilk substitute (see recipe notes)*
- Demerara or turbinado sugar for topping
- Prep oven and pan: Preheat oven to 425F. Line a standard muffin tin with 12 liners.
- Sift dry ingredients: Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Whisk thoroughly to evenly combine.
- Coat chocolate: Place chocolate in a bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons of dry mixture until chocolate is fully coated. This helps prevent chocolate from sinking to the bottom of the muffins.
- Beat butter and sugar: Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. This can be done in the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment over medium speed. You can also use hand held beaters or mix by hand, using a large whisk.
- Add eggs, vanilla and sour cream: Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until full incorporated. Whisk in vanilla and sour cream.
- Add remaining ingredients: Add dry ingredients and buttermilk to the batter, alternating, in two to three additions. Do not overmix. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake: Use a trigger release ice cream scoop or two spoons to fill muffin tin. Batter should fill liners to the top. Sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake for 5-8 minutes or until muffins rise ¼ to ½ inch above the top of the pan. Check using oven light. Do not open the oven! Reduce heat to 375F and continue baking for approximately 12-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Cool and serve: Cool in tin for 5 minutes. Then transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool completely. These are best served the day they’re baked when the tops are slightly crunchy. See notes for storage tips. Enjoy.
To make your own buttermilk substitute, whole, 2% or 1% milk mixed with 1 teaspoon white vinegar. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before using in recipe. If you don’t have the vinegar, just use regular milk for this recipe.
Store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days. Store in fridge for up to 4-5 days.
You can freeze wrapped individually in plastic wrap and then sealed in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before serving.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 380
- Sugar: 34g
- Sodium: 120mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 53g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
Keywords: chocolate chip muffins, bakery style muffins, chocolate muffins