These coconut macaroons are chewy on the inside, crisp on top and dipped in luscious, dark chocolate. Oh and naturally gluten free.
- 7 oz (2 2/3 cups) sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 ½ oz semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Heat oven & line pan: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Make balls: In a medium sized bowl, whisk together all ingredients, excluding the chocolate. Scoop tablespoon-sized balls onto the baking sheet. Chill in the fridge for 10-15 minutes, or until slightly firmed.
- Bake: Bake in the center rack of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Bake in batches, if needed. Allow to cool in pan for 5-10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Melt chocolate: Line another baking sheet and set aside. While cookies cool, set up a double boiler. Fill a small pot with 1 inch of water and bring to a simmer. Place a bowl on top of the pot which fits without touching the water. Add 70% of chocolate to bowl, stirring frequently, until melted. Remove bowl from the heat and stir in remaining chocolate. Continue to stir for several minutes to help cool and temper the chocolate.
- Dip & serve: Dip the bottom of the cookies into the chocolate, allowing excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl. Set dipped cookies on prepared baking sheet. Drizzle tops with any remaining chocolate, if desired. Allow to set at room temperature. If chocolate is not setting up properly, refrigerate until set. Enjoy.
- Total time does not reflect time needed to cool and chill cookies.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: Italian, American
- Serving Size: 2 macaroons
- Calories: 166
- Sugar: 19g
- Sodium: 128mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: cookies, macaroons, coconut, macaroon, chocolate