Hazelnut Sandwich Cookies with Chocolate and Jam will make a great addition to your holiday table. You can’t go wrong with chocolate and hazelnuts.
- ¾ cup + 3 tbsp hazelnuts, toasted and skinned
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup jam of choice (I used apricot and fig)
- 4.5oz bittersweet chocolate
- Grind nuts: Place 3 tablespoons of nuts in food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Remove and reserve for later. Place remaining ¾ cup nuts in a food processor with 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Pulse until finely ground.
- Add dry ingredients: Add remaining sugar, flour and salt to processor, and pulse until combined.
- Add wet ingredients: Add butter and vanilla and pulse until a dough forms. Remove from food processor, and shape into a two disks. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until firm. You can also refrigerate the dough up to 2-3 days, and allow it to sit out on counter for about 15 minutes before rolling out.
- Roll & punch: On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8 inch thick. The dough may crack easily, but just push together as needed, and roll out carefully. Punch out rounds using a 2 ½ inch cutter. Carefully transfer rounds to a parchment lined baking sheet, spacing dough about 1 inch apart. Re-roll dough and repeat. Refrigerate dough again if too warm to work with. Place baking sheets with cut-outs in the fridge for at least 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake: Preheat oven to 350°F while dough is chilling. Bake cookies on center rack of oven for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. You can also use the upper and lower third racks and rotate cookies half way through cooking. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Fill: When cookies cool, spread 1 ½ teaspoons of jam on half of the cookies and top to form into sandwiches.
- Temper chocolate: Finely chop 3 oz of chocolate, keeping ½ ounce whole. Fill a small pot with 2 inches of water and warm on stove over medium heat. Place 3 oz of chopped chocolate in a bowl large enough to sit over pot of water without touching bottom. Place bowl over simmering water and stir frequently until chocolate is about 80% melted. Remove from heat and continue to stir until smooth. Add ½ ounce chunk of chocolate to further cool mixture and continue to stir until chocolate is no longer hot to the touch.
- Dip and Serve: Dip the cookie sandwiches half way into chocolate and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet to set up. After dipping every 3-4 sandwiches, top with reserved chopped hazelnuts before chocolate sets up too much. If your chocolate is not setting up, place in fridge until set. Enjoy.
ALTERNATIVE RECIPE FOR MORE TENDER/EASIER TO ROLL OUT COOKIE:
- Mix together ground hazelnuts, flour, salt and 1/2 tsp baking powder in a bowl.
- Cream together softened butter and sugar in stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment for 5 minutes. You can also use a bowl and handheld beaters or a regular whisk.
- Add one large egg and beat until combined. Add one egg yolk and vanilla extract, and combine.
- Add dry ingredients in two additions, mixing over low speed to just combine.
- Continue with instructions from above, using slightly less than 1 1/2 tsp of jam per cookie sandwich, as these cookies won’t absorb as much moisture.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich cookie
- Calories: 210
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 58mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: hazelnut cookies, hazelnut sandwich cookies, chocolate hazelnut cookies, Christmas, holiday