This is a classic done right. Sausage Chestnut Stuffing will be a winner on your Thanksgiving table.
- 10 cups sour dough bread, coarsely torn into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped roasted chestnuts
- 1lb sweet Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 2 medium onions, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 4 stalks celery, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 14 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 2–3 cups chicken stock
- 2 large eggs
- Dry out the bread: Tear bread one day or up to several days ahead of assembling the stuffing. Place on a sheet tray and allow to sit out uncovered to dry out. Alternatively, place sheet tray in oven and dry out at 300°F for about 15 minutes, or until you reach desired result. Cool. Place in a large bowl.
- Fry the chestnuts: Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add olive oil followed by chopped chestnuts. Toast for about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Brown the sausage: Increase pan to medium-high heat. Add sausage to pan. Allow to brown undisturbed for about 8-10 minutes or until very well-browned on bottom side. Flip using a spatula and break up into smaller pieces. Brown on opposite side for another 8-10 minutes minutes or until well browned. Remove sausage from pan using a slotted spoon and transfer to bowl with bread, reserving fat in pan.
- Cook the soffritto: Reduce heat to medium. Add carrots, celery and onion to pan. Season with salt. Allow to sweat out moisture and slowly cook and sweeten. Reduce heat when needed to medium-low to low to avoid browning. After about 30 minutes, add 2 tablespoons of butter to pan so vegetables continue to cook without browning. Cook another 20-30 minutes over low heat or until very sweet and flavorful. Add garlic and thyme and cook 1 minute. Transfer to bowl with bread.
- Prep oven and pan: While soffritto cooks, preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9×13 inch baking pan. Butter foil to put over the pan.
- Add butter, eggs & stock: Add 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of butter to pan and melt. Pour over bread mixture. In a bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together 2 cups of stock with eggs. Transfer bread mixture to prepared pan. Pour over egg/stock mixture. Pour over additional stock, a few tablespoons at a time as needed, until bread is moistened.
- Bake & Serve: Bake on center rack of oven covered with foil until a paring knife inserted into the center comes out hot, 30-35 minutes. Increase heat to 450°F and uncover pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until browned and crispy on top. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy.
This recipe is adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: Bake and Saute
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/12 of tray
- Calories: 560
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 880mg
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 61g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 21g
Keywords: Thanksgiving, stuffing, dressing, filling, sausage, chestnut