Bacon, pancakes and maple syrup have long been the basic components of a great American breakfast. I put a little Italian spin on this traditional meal: Cornmeal Pancakes with Pancetta and Fig Maple Syrup. It’s so good, it might become your new tradition.
- ¾ cup stone ground yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted plus additional for greasing pan and serving
- 4 oz pancetta, cut into ½ inch cubes
Fig Maple Syrup:
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp fig preserves*
- 1 tsp bourbon (optional)
- Small pinch of salt
- Mix dry ingredients: Combine the dry ingredients (cornmeal through salt) in a large bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients: Beat together egg and milk in a small bowl.
- Mix wet & dry: Whisk milk mixture into dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in melted butter. Do not over-mix. Let batter rest for 15-30 minutes at room temperature.
- Cook pancetta: While batter rests, add pancetta to a large, cold sauté pan. Turn heat to medium and slowly crisp bacon and render fat, stirring occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes. Reduce heat slightly to prevent burning the pancetta, if needed. Remove pancetta from the pan and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Stir in 1 tablespoon a rendered pork fat into the pancake batter.
- Make fig maple syrup: Whisk together maple syrup, preserves, bourbon and salt in a small bowl. Heat mixture in the microwave for about 20 seconds or until warm. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat pan: Warm a griddle or large nonstick pan over medium heat for the pancakes. Lightly grease with butter. Using a ¼ cup measure, scoop the batter into the preheated pan. Flip when bubbles form around the entire surface and pancake becomes lightly browned, about 1-1 ½ minutes. Cook another 30 seconds to 1 minute on the reverse side, or until lightly browned and pancake is cooked through. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve: Top pancakes with pancetta, and serve with fig maple syrup and room-temperature butter, if desired. Enjoy.
Fig preserves can be found in Italian specialty stores, online or at some supermarkets.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: New American, Italian
- Serving Size: 2 pancakes
- Calories: 364
- Sugar: 26g
- Sodium: 470mg
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 11g
Keywords: cornmeal, pancakes, bacon, figs