Learn my tips for making the BEST creamy butternut squash soup. There’s a helpful video to make it even easier!
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp butter, divided (sub vegan butter, coconut oil or olive oil, if vegan)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock, or as needed (sub vegetable stock, if vegan)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- ¼ cup heavy cream (sub coconut milk, if vegan)
- ½ cup raw pepitas
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Roast squash: Preheat oven to 425°F. Place squash on sheet tray and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and salt. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- Cook onions: While squash roasts, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a dutch oven or large heavy bottomed pot. Add onions, season with salt, and cook over medium to medium-low heat until soft and very sweet, about 30 minutes. After 10-15 minutes the water from the onions will be released and evaporate. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter at this time, and reduce to low, if needed, to prevent excess browning.
- Simmer soup: Add roasted squash to pot with cooked onions. Pour in about 3 ½ cups stock or just enough to cover. Add bay leaf and cloves. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook partially covered for 30-45 minutes or until squash is very soft and soup is flavorful.
- Toast pepitas: Reduce oven to 350°F. Place pepitas on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Toss with 2 teaspoons of oil and salt. Toast 8 minutes. Transfer sheet tray to cooling rack.
- Blend & serve: Remove bay leaf and cloves from soup. Transfer to Vitamix or blender to blend, or puree directly in pot with an immersion blender. If you do not use a Vitamix, I recommend straining through a fine sieve for the optimal texture. Add additional stock or water (I added 1 cup) to thin soup to desired consistency. Stir in cream. Adjust seasoning, if needed. Transfer to serving bowls, top with a drizzle of cream and pepitas, and enjoy.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Simmer, Roast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups soup + 2 tbsp pepitas
- Calories: 400
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 940mg
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 9g
Keywords: butternut squash, soup, creamy, pepitas, vegan