Take a departure from your typical roasted potatoes! These are seasoned with earthy truffle salt, perfumed by fresh thyme and tossed with lemon zest for added brightness.
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1–1 ½ inch cubes
- 2 tsp flour
- White truffle salt*
- White pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4–5 sprigs of thyme
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- Preheat tray & oven: Preheat a large sheet tray in the center rack of the oven at 450°F.
- Parboil potatoes: Add potatoes to a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Parboil potatoes for 5 minutes or until outsides start to soften. Drain well.
- Roast & serve: Add potatoes to a large bowl and toss with flour. Season generously with truffle salt and lightly with pepper. Coat in oil and add to preheated sheet tray. Roast a total of 25-30 minutes, or until fully cooked and crispy on the outside, flipping half way through. Toss with lemon zest while hot. Enjoy.
- Truffle salt can be found in gourmet grocery stores or online.
Why the above techniques are important for crispy, well-seasoned potatoes
- Parboiling the potatoes in salted water not only helps season their interiors, but the softened exteriors are more susceptible to attaining crispy edges. Starch is also released in the water, allowing for easier crisping.
- Flour helps to dry out the exterior (also leads to easier crisping).
- Preheating the sheet tray ensures ultimate browning and helps prevent the potatoes from sticking!
- Category: Side
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/4 of potatoes
- Calories: 174
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 49mg
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: potatoes, roast, truffle, crispy