This Milk and Honey Ice Cream has a unique malted milk flavor. The buttery milk powder crumble is the perfect compliment.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt or 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Light colored honey, such as acacia, or honey of your choice, for drizzling
- Reduce milk: Add 2 cups of the milk to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce milk by half. This may take about 30 minutes.
- Mix & freeze ice cream base: While milk reduces, add remaining 1 cup milk, cream, milk powder, sugar, corn syrup and salt to a blender. When milk is reduced, add to the blender and mix on medium-high speed for about 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl over a wire rack and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. When cooled, transfer to the fridge and chill for at least 4 hours or up to overnight. Transfer to ice cream machine and freeze as directed. Transfer to freezer to set up further or enjoy immediately at “soft-serve” texture.
- Bake milk crumble: While ice cream sets, preheat oven to 275°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Combine milk powder, flour, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a bowl. Stir in melted butter, forming some larger clusters. Bake on prepared sheet for 10 minutes or until mixture is dry and crumbly but still pale. Cool. Store in airtight containers at room temperature.
- Serve: Scoop ice cream into serving dishes. Drizzle over honey, and sprinkle milk crumble and bee pollen on top. Enjoy.
Total time does not reflect time to chill and freeze ice cream.
There is bee pollen used as a topping in the photos, but this is not a necessary part of the recipe! I wouldn’t purchase it for the use in this recipe. Only use some if you happen to already have it on hand.
Store ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer for 2-4 months.
Allow ice cream to sit at room temperature for about 5-10 minutes before scooping after it’s fully frozen.
Store crumble in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
The ice cream is adapted from the Milk Ice recipe in the NoMad Cookbook.
The milk crumble is adapted from a recipe by Bon Appetit.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Simmer, Freeze, Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup ice cream plus toppings
- Calories: 275
- Sugar: 42g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 7g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
Keywords: milk and honey ice cream, milk crumble, milk ice cream, honey ice cream