My Fava Bean Ravioli with Brown Butter are the perfect way to celebrate this delicious spring time bean.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1–2 tbsp water, or as needed
Filling and sauce:
- 2 cups shucked fava beans, divided (2–3 lbs whole pods)
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 stick butter (½ cup)
- Mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
1. Blanch and peel beans: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add shucked fava beans to water for about 1-2 minutes or until skins soften. Drain and place in ice water bath until cooled. Peel and discard skins.
2. Mix pasta dough: Place flour on work surface and shape into a well. Crack eggs in center. Add olive oil. Use a fork to whisk eggs and slowly incorporate flour into wet ingredients. When dough starts to come together, use your hands to work dough. Knead until the dough forms and then knead an additional 6-8 minutes. You can also do this over low speed in a mixer. Cover dough with plastic wrap and rest for 20-30 minutes.
3. Mix filling: Add 1 ½ cups of peeled favas to food processor along with ricotta, parm, oil and zest. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Make ravioli: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Roll out dough using a pasta machine until translucent but not too thin. Fill and cut ravioli as desired.
5. Make sauce and cook ravioli: Add butter to a large pan a cook until browned, but not burnt. Turn off heat. When butter is almost done browning, place ravioli in boiling water and cook about 3-4 minutes or until just tender. Cook in batches, as needed. Place in pan with browned butter and coat with butter. Toss in remaining ½ cup of fava beans.
6. Serve: Distribute among serving dishes and top with parm and mint leaves, if desired. Enjoy.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 6 ravioli with butter
- Calories: 440
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 200mg
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated Fat: 16g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 17g
Keywords: fava bean, ravioli, ricotta, pasta