The combination of lemon and lavender is what makes these shortbread cookies really good. The acidic lemon really brightens up the floral, earthy lavender.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp kosher salt (slightly less if using fine salt)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- ¼ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ tsp dried lavender flowers, finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest, finely grated
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp dried lavender flowers
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ –2 ½ tbsp “lavender cream”
- 1–1 ½ tbsp whole milk (or milk of choice)
- Heat oven & prepare pan: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
- Mix dry ingredients: Whisk together flour and salt in a bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients: In a large bowl, mix together sugar, lavender and zest. Add butter and work together using a rubber spatula. This can also be done in a standing mixer.
- Mix wet & dry: Add the flour to the butter/sugar mixture in two additions, and mix until just combined.
- Refrigerate: Press dough together in a ball and flatten into a disc. Do not overwork. Cover in plastic and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until firm yet pliable. You can also refrigerate up to overnight. If the dough becomes too stiff after refrigeration, set out at room temperature for up to 20-60 minutes, or until the appropriate texture.
- Roll dough: Lightly flour your work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll dough ¼ inch thick. Cut using a 2 inch round cutter, and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Re-roll the remaining dough and repeat the process. Refrigerate cut-outs for about 10-15 minutes or until firm.
- Bake: Place on the center rack of the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make lavender cream: While the cookies are baking, bring the cream and lavender to a rapid simmer in a small pot. Cover and remove from heat. Allow to steep for 20-30 minutes, or until cream tastes strongly of lavender. Cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the glaze: While the cookies are cooling, strain lavender cream, reserving the lavender flowers for decoration, if desired. In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, 1 ½ tablespoons of lavender cream and 1 tablespoon of milk. Add more milk or cream, based on your desired level of lavender flavor and thickness of the glaze.
- Decorate: If decorating with reserved lavender, use tweezers to dip the flowers into the glaze and place on the cookies in any pattern as you prefer. Be cautious not to use too much lavender, as it can be bitter and overpowering. Return cookies to the wire rack until the glaze sets up completely. Enjoy.
Check out my paragraph, “Substitutions for these Lemon Lavender Shortbread Cookies,” for some alternative flavor options.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 cookies
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 77mg
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 9
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: lemon lavender shortbread cookies, lavender shortbread, lemon shortbread cookies