Whether you’re hosting a brunch with friends or just want to whip up something special for family breakfast this weekend, my Ham and Cheese Strata is just the dish you need in your repertoire.
- 13oz sourdough bread, crust removed, cut into 1 ½ inch cubes (~7 cups)
- 1 medium leek, cut into thin half moons
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8oz Bayonne ham, cut into ½ to ¾ inch squares
- 8oz sharp, aged white cheddar or provolone cheese, grated
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp kosher salt (½ to ¾ tsp finer table salt), plus more as needed
- ½ tsp freshly ground cracked pepper
- Chives, thinly sliced for garnish
- Warm oven: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Dehydrate bread: *This step can be done 1-2 nights before. If desired, cut bread into cubes at least 1 to 2 days before baking strata. Spread out on a sheet tray, uncovered, and allow to dry out. Alternatively, place bread cubes on sheet tray the day of baking and dry out in preheated oven for approximately 10-12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Sauté leeks: Warm a 10-inch cast iron pan or nonstick pan over medium heat. Melt butter. Add leeks. Season with salt. Allow to cook without developing color, adjusting heat as needed, for 5-8 minutes or until softened and translucent. Remove from pan.
- Whisk wet ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Assemble strata: Place half the bread on the bottom of the pan used to cook the leeks. Layer on half of the leeks, followed by half of the ham and cheese. Repeat layers with remaining bread, leeks and ham. Pour over egg mixture. Push down bread to completely saturate with egg mixture. Top with cheese.
- Bake & serve: Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, for 60-80 minutes or until knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly, garnish with chives, slice and serve.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/8 of strata
- Calories: 450
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 730mg
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 24g
Keywords: strata, breakfast, casserole, ham, cheese