After making hasselback potatoes a few months ago for the first time, I wished I had them in my life sooner.
Now hasselbacks are definitely my go-to potato over your typical baked potato. All of those thin slices get irresistibly crispy on the outside, while the insides are soft and creamy.
The combination of olive oil, butter and thyme provide amazing flavor. Rosemary is my other go-to herb for these potatoes. I like to finish them off with an extra drizzle of olive oil or butter for moisture and a good sprinkling of chunky salt. Potatoes love salt, so it’s hard to overdo it here.
This simple potato recipe goes well a multitude of dishes and is great for any season. If you don’t already have hasselbacks in your recipe arsenal, this is the time!
Hasselback potatoes are definitely my go-to potato over your typical baked potato. All of those thin slices get irresistibly crispy on the outside, while the insides are soft and creamy.
- 2 medium Russet or Yukon Gold Potatoes, scrubbed & dried
- Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp butter, sliced very thin, plus more for drizzling (omit if vegan)
- 1–2 sprigs thyme
- Chunky sea salt (such as fleur de sel), for garnish
- Heat oven: Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice & season potatoes: Lay potatoes flat and slice 1/8 to ¼-inch thick slits across the potato, about ¾ of the way through. Lightly coat in olive oil. Season with salt on the outside and between each slit. Wedge a sliver of butter between every few slices of the potato, and a small piece of thyme (stem intake) between the alternate slices. If omitting butter, make sure to coat well with oil between each slice.
- Bake & serve: Bake in the center rack of the oven for about 1 hour or until potatoes are fork tender and crispy on the outside. Discard thyme stems. Drizzle with melted butter or olive oil, and sprinkle with chunky salt. Enjoy.
- Category: Side
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Swedish, American
- Serving Size: 1 potato
- Calories: 331
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 12.3mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: hasselback, potatoes