Italian stuffed artichokes are easier to prepare than you make think, and make for a great appetizer or light main course. Plus, who doesn’t love bread and garlic and cheese.
- 3 globe (or 4 medium) artichokes
- 1 cup fine, plain breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup parmigianno reggiano (parmesan) cheese, finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed in press
- 1 cup loosely packed parsley, finely chopped (~1/4 cup chopped)
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lemon, zested
- Kosher salt
- Lemon wedges, for serving
1. Toast breadcrumbs. Add breadcrumbs to an unheated, nonstick pan. Turn heat to medium. Toast, stirring frequently when bread begins to color, for about 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to bowl to cool.
2. Clean artichokes. Cut off stems of artichokes. Trim bottoms of stems and peel off rough outer layer. Rub with a cut lemon. Peel off first and second bottom rows of artichoke leaves. Rub exposed area with a cut lemon. Trim top ½ inch of remaining leaves with a scissor. When you get close to center, use knife to cut off remaining tips straight across all at once.
3. Mix stuffing. Add cheese, garlic, parsley and lemon zest to bowl with cooled breadcrumbs, and stir to combine. Stir in 4 tablespoons of oil. Season with salt to taste.
4. Stuff artichokes. Using a small spoon, stuff each outer leaf of artichoke with filling. There is no need to stuff thin, inner leaves.
5. Steam artichokes. Add stuffed artichokes to a pot with high sides that they will fit into very snug. Season stems with salt and add to bottom of pot. Fill with 1 ½ inches of water. Season water with a few pinches of salt. Drizzle the top of the artichokes with remaining tablespoon of oil. Cover with lid and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce to a simmer and steam 50-60 minutes or until artichokes are tender and leaves pull off easily. Add additional water, as needed, to maintain 1 inch of water on the bottom of the pot.
6. Preheat oven and roast artichokes. After artichokes are cooking about 30 minutes, preheat oven to 450°F. When artichokes are cooked through, remove lid and place on center rack of oven. Roast for 8-12 minutes or until browned on top.
7. Serve. Transfer artichokes and stems to serving plates. Serve with lemon wedges if desired. Enjoy.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Steam, Roast
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 artichoke
- Calories: 460
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 560mg
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 14g
Keywords: Italian, artichokes, stuffed, breadcrumbs, cheese