Kale is an absolutely wonderful green for fall and winter salads. It’s hearty and holds up well to any dressing and accompaniment. This salad in particular screams fall with my garam masala spiced, maple cashews and dried dates. The lemon-pomegranate dressing brings some needed acidity to balance out the sweet and spicy elements in this salad. No matter what you want to add to your next kale salad, be sure to check out my tips on how to massage and tenderize those greens!Print
Kale is an absolutely wonderful green for fall and winter salads. It’s hearty and holds up well to any dressing and accompaniment. This salad in particular screams fall with my garam masala spiced, maple cashews and dried dates.
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, sliced into thin strips (preferably lacinato)
- ½ cup dried dates, chopped
- ½ cup roasted, salted cashews
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 1–2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp lemon juice, divided
- 2 tsp pomegranate molasses
- ½ tbsp agave nectar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Make spiced cashews: Add cashews, maple syrup, garam masala and cayenne to a small nonstick pan. Cook over medium to medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for about 3-4 minutes or until mixture thickens and just coats nuts. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with a silpat or parchment paper and allow to cool.
- Make dressing: Whisk together 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, molasses and agave in a small bowl. Slowly stream in olive oil, whisking constantly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dress & serve: Add kale, remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and a pinch of salt to a large bowl. Massage, squeezing kale with hands, for 3-4 minutes or until significantly reduced in volume and darker in color.* For assembly, toss kale with dressing and top with nuts and dates.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: New American, Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 1/4 of salad
- Calories: 288
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 151mg
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: kale, salad, dates, cashews, pomegranate