This lavender blueberry galette has a rich, buttery flaky crust filled with jammy blueberry goodness. The filling is sweet, tart and slightly floral.
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 9 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch pieces, chilled
- 1 ½ tbsp vodka, chilled
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, chilled
- 5 tsp ice water, divided
- 1 egg, for wash
- Demerara or other coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- 2 cups blueberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Zest of half a lemon
- ½ tsp dried lavender, ground (with a mortar and pestle or coffee grinder)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Combine flour & butter: Place butter cubes in freezer for 10 minutes before using. Combine flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add butter pieces and toss to coat in flour. Rub butter into flour using fingertips to create some large, irregular pieces and some thin, flat pieces. Work quickly to avoid overheating butter. Place in freezer or fridge for several minutes if butter gets too warm.
- Add liquids: Mix together vodka, vinegar and 4 teaspoons of ice water in a measuring cup. Drizzle over flour/butter mixture. Mix with fork to create a shaggy mixture. Knead gently to form a dough. It should look dry and rough. Transfer to a lightly floured surface, drizzle over remaining teaspoon of ice water and knead together to just form a dough. Do not overwork.
- Laminate dough: Shape dough into a ¾ inch block. Divide in four, stack pieces on top of each other and press down to shape into a ¾ inch disc. This will create layers of butter that become flaky when baking. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 5 days.
- Roll dough & heat oven: Remove dough from fridge and sit on counter for 5-15 minutes or until warm enough to work with. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough 1/8 inch thick into a 13-inch round. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet and chill in fridge until firm. While dough chills, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix & Add filling: Remove pie dough from fridge to warm slightly before filling. In a large bowl, toss together all ingredients for filling. Working with dough on baking sheet, spoon filling into center, leaving a 2 inch border. Fold dough border in over filling, pleating every 2 inches. Check to make sure there are no cracks. Transfer to freezer to chill for 10-15 minutes.
- Top & Bake: Beat egg with one tablespoon of water. Remove tray from freezer and brush top of pie crust with egg. Sprinkle with demerara sugar. Bake on the center rack of the oven for 45-55 minutes or until crust is well-browned and filling is bubbling. Cool for about 10 minutes on the sheet tray, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and enjoy.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/6 of galette
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 268mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: pie, blueberry, lavender