This Lemon Rhubarb Custard Cake is sweet, tangy and incredibly moist. It gets its name from its almost custard-like, gooey interior.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar, plus more for topping
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 12oz rhubarb stalks, trimmed, halved lengthwise if thick, cut to fit top of cake
1. Prep. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with butter. Line with parchment. Grease parchment. Dust with flour, tapping out any excess. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix dry ingredients. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
3. Mix wet ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Slowly stream in butter while whisking until emulsified. Whisk in sour cream, lemon juice, zest and vanilla.
4. Combine and bake. Whisk flour mixture into egg mixture in 2-3 additions until just combined. Do not over mix. Pour batter into prepared pan. Tap against counter to pop any air bubbles. Gently place rhubarb pieces over top of cake as desired. Use large pieces as small chunks may sink into cake. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake on center rack of oven until well-browned on top and toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Start checking for doneness after 45 minutes. This may take upwards of 70-80 minutes to cook, depending on your oven. For a firmer texture, cook until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out completely clean.
5. Cool and serve. Remove from oven and place over a wire rack to cool. After 15 minutes, use a small offset spatula or knife to loosen cake from sides of pan. Remove sides of springform and allow to cool completely. Slice and serve alone or with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, if desired. Enjoy.
This recipe is adapted from Bon Appetit.
- Category: Cake
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American, New American
- Serving Size: 1/8 of cake
- Calories: 300
- Sugar: 38g
- Sodium: 125mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 53g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: rhubarb, custard, cake, lemon