Za’atar is a Middle Eastern herb-spice blend, typically containing thyme, sumac and sesame seeds. Za’atar pairs wonderfully with the chicken legs, and the addition of lemon juice and zest to the mix enhances the lemony notes of the sumac.
- 6 chicken drumsticks (legs) (about 2lbs)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more to grease grill
- 1 tbsp za’atar spice blend
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Marinate chicken: Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Combine oil through garlic in a large bowl, coat chicken in mixture, and marinate at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- Prep for grilling: Allow the chicken to come to room temperature for 30-60 minutes. Preheat the grill pan or outdoor grill over medium heat. Remove chicken from marinade, season with additional salt and pepper, and discard garlic.
- Grill & serve: Grill for a total of 25-30 minutes, turning every 4-6 minutes, or until juices run clear and the internal temperature registers 165°F. If the chicken begins to brown too rapidly before it’s cooked through, lower the heat for the remainder of the cooking time. Allow to rest about 5 minutes. Enjoy.
- Total time does not reflect time needed to marinate the chicken.
- Category: Main
- Method: grill
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 2 legs
- Calories: 526
- Sugar: 0g
- Sodium: 274mg
- Fat: 37g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Protein: 44g
Keywords: zaatar, chicken, chicken legs, grilled