Mussels in saffron tomato broth has to be one of my favorite mussel recipes. It’s simple but includes all the right flavors to enhance the sweet, briny mussels.
- ¾ cup dry white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
- 1 large pinch of saffron
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1–2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 whole canned tomatoes, removed from juices
- 2 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- Kosher salt and pepper
- ¼ cup loosely packed parsley, chopped
- Grilled crusty Italian or French bread (gluten free, if desired), for serving*
- Steep saffron: Warm wine, add saffron and allow it to steep while preparing the other ingredients.
- Make base: Heat a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Melt butter in the pan. Add in shallots, season with salt and pepper, and sauté 2-3 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 15-30 seconds. Add wine, bring to a boil over high heat for about a minute or until slightly reduced. Add tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, reduce heat and allow the mixture to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Grill bread: While sauce cooks, heat a grill pan or outdoor grill over medium-high heat. Cut bread into ½ inch-thick slices. Drizzle bread with extra virgin olive oil and season lightly with chunky sea salt. Grill for about 1 minute per side or until charred. If using a grill pan, place a pan over the bread to weigh down the bread slightly and encourage grill marks.
- Steam mussels & serve: Add mussels to tomatoes, cover and allow to steam over medium heat for about 5-8 minutes or until mussels have just opened (discard any that don’t). Taste broth for seasoning and adjust, if needed. Stir in parsley and serve with grilled bread. Enjoy.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Steam, Saute
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1/2 of mussels
- Calories: 639
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 1315mg
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 57g
Keywords: mussels, tomatoes, saffron