Sometimes we all just need a comforting bowl of pasta. Pasta with Mushrooms and Prosciutto is the way to go.
- 12oz pappardelle pasta (can substitute tagliatelli or fettucine)
- ½ oz dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6oz thick cut prosciutto, cut into ½ inch cubes (ask deli to cut ½ inch thick piece)
- 5 tbsp butter, divided
- 12oz mixed mushrooms, stems removed, roughly torn (I used baby shitake, maitake & oyster)
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- ½ cup dry marsala wine
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup (0.5oz) freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese, plus more for topping
- Chives, finely chopped, for garnish
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
1. Get pot ready: Bring a large pot of water to a boil while preparing ingredients. Keep warm over medium heat until ready to use.
2. Rehydrate mushrooms: Add dried mushrooms to a liquid measuring cup. Pour in enough boiling water to fill to 2 cups. Set aside.
3. Crisp prosciutto: Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add olive oil, followed by prosciutto. Cook for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until crispy on all sides. Transfer to a bowl using a slotted spoon. Discard any chunks that are completely fat.
4. Cook mushrooms & shallot: Add two tablespoons of butter to pan and melt over medium high heat. Add mushrooms in a single layer, browning in batches if needed. Do not salt at this point. Allow mushrooms to brown on first side, 2-3 minutes. Brown on opposite side. Season with salt. Remove rehydrated mushrooms from water, roughly chop and add to pan. Add another tablespoon of butter, followed by shallot and thyme. Season with salt. Cook 4-5 minutes until shallot is translucent.
5. Deglaze: Add wine and reduce by half. Decant mushroom water into new container, leaving behind grit on bottom of cup. Ladle a cup of mushroom water into pan and reduce by half.
6. Cook pasta: While mushroom water is reducing, bring pasta water back to a boil and season heavily with salt. Add pasta to water, stirring occasionally. Cook two minutes short of package directions until very al dente.
7. Finish: Add pasta to pan with mushrooms. Pour in cream and toss to coat. Bring to a simmer and reduce until a few tablespoons of excess liquid remain. Turn off heat and add remaining 2 tablespoons butter and cheese. Toss butter and cheese are melted and emulsified with sauce. The sauce should cling to the pasta with a few tablespoons of excess sauce on the bottom of the pan. Adjust with pasta water or more mushroom water, if needed, to reach desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to serving dishes, top with chives and additional cheese, and enjoy.
This recipe was adapted from Bon Appetit.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1/4 of pasta
- Calories: 670
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 140mg
- Fat: 29g
- Saturated Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 71g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 25g
Keywords: pasta, mushrooms, prosciutto