Buttery, toasted challah and salty, crisp prosciutto make this Eggs Benedict something special. A classic Hollandaise and microgreens top off this dish.
- 8 slices of prosciutto
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 slices challah bread
- 4 tbsp butter, or as needed
- 8 large eggs
- White vinegar (1 tbsp per quart of water)
- Kosher salt
- Microgreens or sliced chives, for garnish
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 stick cold, unsalted butter, cubed
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- Crisp prosciutto: Add prosciutto to a large, nonstick pan. Turn heat to medium and crisp up for about 3 minutes on the first side and 1-2 minutes on the other side, cooking in batches if needed.
- Toast bread: Using the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of butter for every 2 slices of bread. Cook about 2 minutes per side or until toasted and golden brown, cooking in batches if needed. Keep warm in a low temperature oven (as low as your oven will go).
- Start hollandaise: Bring 1-2 inches of water to a simmer in a medium sauce pan. Use a stainless steel or glass bowl wide enough to sit on top of the pot to create a double-boiler. Whisk egg yolks, lemon juice and water off the heat until lightened in color, about 2-3 minutes. Place bowl over water and whisk constantly until mixture is pale yellow and thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat, as needed, to prevent eggs from overcooking.
- Add butter & season: Off heat, whisk in a piece of butter until combined. Continue to incorporate butter one piece at a time, taking the bowl on and off the heat, as needed. Season with cayenne and salt. Cover to keep warm.
- Poach eggs: fill a large sauce pan or sauté pan with high sides with about 2 inches of water and bring to a gentle simmer. Crack eggs into separate ramekins or small bowls. Add vinegar to water. Using a wooden spoon, create a whirlpool in the water to encourage egg whites to wrap around yolks. Slowly pour each egg into the water in a clockwise fashion. Cook about 3 minutes for runny yolks or 4-5 minutes for a more set yolk. Remove eggs in the order they were added to the water with a slotted, spatula and drain on paper towels. Season with salt. Prepare in batches, as needed.
- Serve: To assemble, place a slice of prosciutto over each slice of toast. Top with an egg, spoon over sauce and garnish with microgreens. Enjoy.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Poach, Pan Fry
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 2 slices toast, 2 eggs, 2 slices prosciutto with sauce
- Calories: 796
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 1321mg
- Fat: 57g
- Saturated Fat: 25g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Protein: 29g
Keywords: eggs benedict, poached, eggs, prosciutto