This maple-bourbon pumpkin pie goes so well with the salty, sweet pecan-graham crust. To put it over the top, add meringue and toast it up.
- ¾ cup pecans
- 6 full graham cracker sheets (~1 cup crumbs)
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- 1–15oz can pumpkin puree (or equivalent fresh puree)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp bourbon, dark rum or brandy (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Toast nuts: Preheat oven to 350°F. Place pecans on a parchment lined baking sheet. Toast for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Cool. Leave oven on.
- Prebake crust: Add cooled pecans, graham crackers, sugars and salt to a food processor. Pulse until fine crumbs form. Drizzle in butter and pulse to combine. Pat graham mix along the bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch pie plate. Prebake the crust for about 10-12 minutes or until lightly toasted. Cool on wire rack. Reduce oven to 325°F.
- Reduce maple: Add maple syrup to a small pot. Bring to a simmer and cook about 3 minutes to thicken slightly. You should have about 2/3 of a cup of syrup remaining.
- Mix filling: In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, sour cream, ginger, salt and spices. Whisk in cooled maple syrup. Whisk in eggs. Add cream, bourbon and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Bake: Carefully pour filling into cooled crusted. Gently knock on counter to pop any air bubbles. Bake on center rack of oven for 60-70 minutes or until mostly set with a very slight jiggle in the center. Start checking at 50 minutes, as all ovens are different. Cool on wire rack for several hours until room temperature.
- Make meringue: When pie is completely cooled, add egg whites, sugar and salt to the bowl of a standing mixer. Place on stove top over a pot filled with 2-3 inches of boiling water (this is a double boiler). Make sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Whisk over heat until sugar is dissolved in egg whites, about 3 minutes. Transfer bowl to stand mixer, fitted with whisk attachment. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Increase to high and beat until glossy, about 6 more minutes.
- Top the pie: Spoon meringue over top of pie. Using the back of a spoon, press bottom layer slightly into pie to help meringue adhere. Top with remaining meringue. Decorate using an offset spatula or tool of choice. You may also apply the meringue using a piping bag.
- Torch it: Using a culinary torch, hold on a 90° angle 3-4 inches from pie and move back and forth until all of meringue is lightly browned.* Slice and enjoy!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/10 of pie
- Calories: 420
- Sugar: 41g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 52g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: pie, pumpkin, meringue, pecans, graham cracker