Pumpkin pancakes are one of my favorite fall breakfast treats. If you like a thick and fluffy pancake, you’re in the right place. Dark chocolate chips make these pancakes extra rich and delicious.
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt (slightly less if using fine salt)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon*
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Dash ground cloves
- Dash ground allspice
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar, packed*
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- Dash vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips*
- Maple syrup and butter, for serving
- Mix dry ingredients: In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
- Mix wet ingredients: In another bowl, combine pumpkin puree, sugar, egg, buttermilk and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- Mix wet and dry: Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. Do not over-mix. It’s okay if there are a few small lumps.
- Stir in butter: Stir in melted butter.
- Cook pancakes: Heat nonstick pan or griddle over medium to medium-low heat. Lightly grease pan with butter, wiping out any excess. Spoon ¼ cup of batter into pan and spread to about a 3 ½ inch diameter (~½ inch thickness).* Cook for about 1 ½ to 2 minutes or until pancake is browned on bottom and edges are set. Flip and cook an additional minute or until cooked through. * Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve: Top with a pat of butter and maple syrup, or desired toppings. Enjoy.
- You may substitute light brown sugar for an equal amount of white sugar plus a teaspoon of maple syrup or molasses. You can also just use white sugar on its own.
- You may substitute 1/2 teaspoon of pre-mixed pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and allspice.
- For a buttermilk substitute, combine 1 scant cup of whole or 2% milk with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar, and let stand for 5 minutes. Alternatively, combine 3/4 cup plain, low fat yogurt and 1/4 cup of milk.
- This recipe yields approximately 10, 3 1/2 inch pancakes. Feel free to make fewer, larger pancakes.
- The precise heat level and cooking time depends on your stove top, your pan and the thickness of your pancakes. Do a small tester to find the perfect balance.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Pan fry
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 3 pancakes
- Calories: 470
- Sugar: 19g
- Sodium: 350mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 64g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 12g
- Cholesterol: 91mg
Keywords: pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes, pumpkin buttermilk pancakes, pumpkin pancakes