This vibrant, Spanish sauce is so delicious and so versatile. I make my romesco sauce by charring a combination of red bell peppers, a plum tomato and garlic under the broiler. The vegetables are then blended with toasted bread and almonds.
- ½ cup Italian or French bread, crusted removed, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup almonds
- 2 medium red bell peppers, sliced in half lengthwise, seeds and stems removed
- 1 medium plum tomato, sliced in half lengthwise, stem removed
- 2–3 cloves garlic, in skin
- 2–3 tbsp red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar (I used 3T)
- ½ tsp light agave nectar or honey
- 2 tsp sweet, smoked paprika
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Toast almonds & bread: Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange bread cubes and almonds on a baking sheet. Toast in the center of the oven for 5-8 minutes, or until almonds are fragrant and bread is dried out and golden, stirring half way through. Set aside.
- Broil vegetables: Preheat the broiler. Arrange peppers (cut side down), tomato (cut side up) and garlic on a baking sheet. Broil 2-3 minutes, flip garlic, and broil another 2-3 minutes or until softened and garlic skin is lightly browned. Set garlic aside. Rotate pan, and continue to broil tomato for 4-6 minutes or until softened and charred. Set aside. Broil peppers an additional 2-3 minutes or until all skin is well-charred.
- Peel & chop vegetables: Transfer peppers to a brown bag, seal and allow to steam for 10-12 minutes. Meanwhile, peel garlic, and peel and chop the tomato. Peel and chop peppers. Discard skins.
- Blend sauce & serve: Using a food processor, finely grind bread and almonds. Add peppers, tomato, garlic, 2 tablespoons of vinegar, agave and spices. Blend until smooth. Stream in olive oil while blending, until incorporated. Taste and season with additional vinegar, salt and/or pepper, if desired. Serve this with my marinated pork tenderloin or your dish of choice. Enjoy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Broil, Blend
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Serving Size: 1/3 cup
- Calories: 248
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 5mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: romesco sauce