This iteration of gazpacho is all about the tomatoes and garlic. In addition to the traditional toppings of boiled eggs and crispy ham, I like to add croutons for crunch and chives for that pretty green finish.
- 2.5 lbs ripe tomatoes, preferably large red heirlooms with few seeds
- 1 medium clove garlic, crushed
- 2 oz stale bread* without crust (I used sourdough)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp sherry or red wine vinegar, or to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2.5 oz bread without crust, cut into ½ to ¾ inch cubes (2 cups)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 4 large eggs
- 4 thin slices of Serrano, Prosciutto crudo or Iberico ham
- Chives, thinly sliced
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
1. Blanch tomatoes: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Fill a large bowl with cold water and ice. Cut a small ‘x’ on the bottom of each tomato to encourage skin to peel. Add tomatoes to boiling water and boil for 20-60 seconds or until skin easily separates from flesh. Drain and place in ice water until cool. Dry, peel and discard skin, and roughly chop.
2. Blend soup: Add chopped tomatoes and garlic to blender and process until smooth. Add bread to blender and allow to sit and soften for 15 minutes. Blend. Stream in olive oil while blending. Add vinegar and salt to taste, and blend until smooth.
3. Strain and chill: Pass soup through a sieve to remove any seeds or unblended chunks. Chill in fridge until ready to serve.
4. Make croutons: Preheat a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add oil, followed by bread cubes. Toss to coat in oil and season with salt. Sauté, stirring often, until crispy and golden brown. Set aside.
5. Boil eggs: Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Place cold water and ice into a medium sized bowl. Gently lower in eggs and boil for 8-10 minutes. An 8 minute boil will yield a cooked through, yet slightly more jammy egg. Transfer to ice water bath. When cooled, remove, peel and chop as desired. Season with salt before topping soup.
6. Crisp ham: Add ham to a large nonstick pan. Turn heat to medium and slowly render fat and crisp ham. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until crisp, adjusting heat as needed. Transfer to a paper towel-lined sheet. Break into smaller pieces when serving.
7. Assemble and serve: Ladle soup into serving bowls. Top with boiled eggs, croutons, ham, chives, black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy.
*NOTE: If using fresh bread, preheat oven to 350°F. Cut bread into 1 inch chunks and place on baking sheet. Dry out in oven for 10-12 minutes or until dehydrated without browning.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Saute, blend
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Serving Size: 1 cup soup with toppings
- Calories: 460
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 140mg
- Fat: 39mg
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 17g
Keywords: salmorejo, gazpacho, chilled, soup, tomato, eggs, ham