Salted Chocolate Olive Oil Ice Cream is rich and fruity from the olive oil and deeply chocolaty and decadent. No one would guess the secret ingredient.
- 3oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, plus more for serving
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (preferably Dutch process)
- ½ tsp kosher salt (use slightly less if using table salt)
- 6 tbsp good quality, fruity extra virgin olive oil
- Fleur de sel, for sprinkling
- Prep chocolate: Place chopped chocolate in a large heat proof bowl. Set a cooling rack and sieve nearby for later use.
- Heat milk base: Place milk and cream in a medium-sized pot. Warm over medium heat until mix comes to a gentle simmer. Stir in cocoa and salt.
- Beat eggs and sugar: While milk mixture heats, place yolks and sugar in a bowl. Whisk vigorously until mixture becomes pale yellow, thick and creamy, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Temper eggs: After milk mixture comes to a simmer, ladle about ½ cup into the egg mixture while constantly whisking. Slowly whisk in tempered egg mixture in the pot with the remaining milk mixture.
- Cook ice cream base: Continue to whisk constantly for 3-5 minutes or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain: Pour cooked ice cream base through sieve into bowl with chopped chocolate. Allow to sit for 3-5 minutes so chocolate melts. Whisk to combine. Place bowl over cooling rack and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Add oil: Stream olive oil into ice cream base and whisk constantly until emulsified.
- Refrigerate: Once ice cream base has cooled to room temperature, cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Freeze: Freeze ice cream using ice cream machine, according to manufacturer’s directions. Transfer to a container and allow to set up for at least an additional 2 hours in the freezer before serving (although the soft serve version from the machine is incredibly good!). If frozen solid, allow ice cream to come up to room temperature for about 10 minutes before scooping.
- Serve: Scoop ice cream and serve topped with fleur de sel and chopped chocolate, if desired. Enjoy.
*Total time does not include time needed to chill and freeze ice cream.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Cook, Freeze
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 330
- Sugar: 25g
- Sodium: 180mg
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: ice cream, salted, chocolate, olive oil