Salmon and peas are a classic combination. In this dish, I brought things up a notch with seared salmon and an addictive pea puree made with sweet caramelized onions, fresh peas, mint and yogurt.
- 2, 6oz skinless salmon fillets
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided, plus more as needed
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh, shelled English peas, divided (or frozen, defrosted peas)
- ¼ cup loosely packed mint, roughly chopped, plus whole small leaves for garnish
- 1 ½ tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 ½ tsp fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Microgreens for garnish (optional)
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Sauté onions and peas: Warm a small nonstick pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon each of oil and butter to the pan. Add onions and season with salt. Cook for a total of about 25-30 minutes or until sweet and caramelized without taking on much color. Adjust heat to low when needed to avoid browning. Add ¾ cup of peas, season with salt and spoon in 1 tablespoon of water. Increase heat back to medium and simmer peas for 3-5 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Puree peas: Add onion/pea mixture and mint to a food processor or blender. Plus until coarsely blended. Add 1 tablespoon of water, or as needed, and continue to blend until smooth. Push through a sieve into to a bowl to remove any lumps. Stir in yogurt and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cook salmon: Heat a medium sized nonstick pan over medium to medium-high heat. Pat salmon dry and season with salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. Place salmon fillets in pan. Cook until browned on first side, about 4-5 minutes. Flip and add 1 tablespoon of butter to pan. Continue to cook to desired doneness, basting with butter, for about 2-3 minutes for medium. Remove from pan.
- Season peas: Toss remaining ¼ cup of raw peas with just enough oil to coat, and season with salt. If using frozen defrosted peas, add to sauté pan with oil and salt and cook until just warmed through.
- Plate: Spoon about half of pea puree onto plate and swoosh to spread. Place salmon over puree. Drizzle over some of cooking oil from pan if desired. Top with microgreens and raw peas, and serve with lemon wedges. Enjoy.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Sear
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 salmon fillet and half of pea puree
- Calories: 545
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 220mg
- Fat: 35g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 43g
Keywords: salmon with pea puree, salmon with peas, salmon with mint pea puree