For a twist on the traditional banana bread, try adding sesame. This sesame banana bread is flavored with tahini. Toasted sesame seeds are folded throughout the batter and lots more are sprinkled on top for some great crunch.
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds, divided
- 2 tbsp black sesame seeds, divided
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- ¼ cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 4 medium overripe bananas, mashed (1 ½ cups)
- ¼ cup plain yogurt (I used full fat, Greek) or sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven & prep pan: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Toast sesame seeds: In a small skillet, add 1 tablespoon each of white and black sesame seeds. Turn the heat to medium and toast the seeds for about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, or until fragrant and the white seeds are lightly golden. Set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour through salt).
- Mix wet ingredients: In another bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until well-combined. Incorporate in oil and tahini. Stir in yogurt, mashed bananas and vanilla.
- Combine wet & dry: Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients in 2-3 additions until just combined. Do not over-mix. Stir in toasted sesame seeds.
- Bake: Pour batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top. Sprinkle the remaining untoasted sesame seeds evenly over the top. Bake on the center rack of the oven for 45-55 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool & serve: Cool in the pan for 8-10 minutes, turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely. To make this extra special, I suggest serving a slice of this bread with softened, salted butter and a drizzle of honey. Enjoy.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American, New American
- Serving Size: 1/10 of loaf
- Calories: 311
- Sugar: 22g
- Sodium: 242mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: banana bread, sesame, tahini