Everyone loves a good omelet, but how about a souffle omelet with two cheeses and a beautiful array of mushrooms? It’s beyond fluffy and almost spongy in texture, in a good way.
- ½ lb mixed mushrooms, torn &/or sliced (I used shiitakes, yellow oysters, cremini & maitake)
- 3 tbsp butter, divided
- Splash dry white wine (optional)
- 3 large eggs, separated (at room temperature)
- ¼ cup parmigiano reggiano cheese, finely grated, plus more for garnish
- 2 oz gruyere cheese, grated
- Kosher salt & fresh cracked pepper
- Chives, finely chopped, for garnish
- Cook the mushrooms: Heat a large sauté pan over medium to medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan, followed by the mushrooms. Spread mushrooms in an even layer. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Flip and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then stir in wine. Cook 1-2 minutes longer or until some of the wine has evaporated and mushrooms are cooked through. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
- Whip whites & preheat pan: Add egg whites and a pinch of salt to the bowl of a standing mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whip the egg whites to stiff peaks over medium-high speed for about 3-4 minutes. While whipping whites, warm a 10-inch nonstick pan over medium-low heat.
- Mix whites & yolks: In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks with parmesan cheese and a pinch of salt. Gently whisk 1/3 of the whipped egg whites into the yolk mixture. Incorporate the remaining egg whites into the yolk mixture by gently folding them in with a rubber spatula. Do not overmix or the whites will deflate.
- Cook omelet: Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter to preheated pan and coat evenly. Carefully spoon egg mixture into pan and spread smooth. Cover with a large lid. Adjust heat between medium-low to medium to achieve a golden brown crust.
- Add gruyere: After 1-2 minutes, uncover omelet and sprinkle over grated gruyere. Recover and cook an additional 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted, and omelet is browned and cooked through.
- Finish & Serve: Sprinkle over mushrooms (I reserve half on the side). Remove omelet from pan, folding it in half on the plate. Sprinkle over additional parmesan and chives, if desired. Slice, serve and enjoy.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1/2 omelet
- Calories: 514
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 708mg
- Fat: 41g
- Saturated Fat: 23g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 32g
Keywords: souffle omelet, souffle omelet with cheese, souffle omelet with mushrooms, omelet with mushrooms and cheese