Sweet Pea and Ricotta Crostini with Prosciutto is an elegant, yet easy-to-make appetizer great for the spring and summer months.
- 1 baguette loaf (about 10oz), sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of shelled, fresh sweet green peas or frozen, defrosted peas*
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, preferably fresh
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing/drizzling
- 2 tbsp mint leaves*
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp freshly grated pecorino romano cheese* or to taste
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 5oz prosciutto, about 7 thin slices
- Heat oven: Preheat oven to 375F.
- Prepare peas: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. You can remove peas from pod as this time. Fill a large bowl with ice and water. Add peas to boiling water and cook 60-90 seconds or until softened and they float to surface of water. Drain. Transfer to ice water bath to cool. When cool, drain and pat dry. IF USING FROZEN PEAS, SKIP THIS STEP. JUST MAKE SURE THEY ARE DEFROSTED.
- Cook Crostini: Place sliced bread on a sheet tray. Brush with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Bake on the center rack of the oven until crisp all the way through and golden brown, 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Make spread: Combine peas, ricotta, 3 tablespoons olive oil, mint, lemon juice and zest. Process to combine. Stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper. I think a substantial amount of black pepper is good here to contrast the sweet peas. Taste for seasoning. Add more salt, pepper, pecorino or lemon, to taste.
- Serve: To assemble, spread each crostino with a heaping tablespoon of the pea-ricotta spread. Gently lay over about 1/3 slice of prosciutto. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and top with a crack of black pepper. Enjoy.
- 2 cups of shelled peas is equivalent to 28oz or 1 3/4 lbs of peas in the pod. They weigh about 15oz after removing the shells.
- Parsley or basil can be used instead of mint.
- You can substitute parmigiano reggiano or parmesan cheese for pecorino.
- Serrano ham can be subbed for prosciutto.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Bake, Blend
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 2 crostini
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 465mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 11g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
Keywords: pea and ricotta crostini, pea and ricotta crostini with prosciutto, crostini with prosciutto