This is the ultimate vanilla ice cream. You can’t beat the flavor of fresh vanilla beans, and this rich, creamy ice cream recipe can be used as a base to create any flavor your heart desires.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Heat cream mixture: Place sieve over a large bowl and set aside. Split vanilla bean in half lengthwise, using a paring knife, and scrape out the sides. Combine cream, milk, vanilla beans, pod and salt in a medium saucepan. Warm over medium heat until mixture comes to slight simmer, about 5-7 minutes.
- Whisk eggs & sugar: Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy. About 3-5 minutes.
- Temper & cook: Spoon about 1/4 cup of cream mixture into egg mixture while whisking. Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly pour egg mixture into cream mixture, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk for about 3-5 minutes or until custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Filter & chill: Pour ice cream base into bowl through sieve to remove pod and any lumps. Add vanilla bean paste or extract at this time if using in place of vanilla bean. Chill in fridge at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Freeze & serve: Freeze using an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Let set completely in freezer. Serve with desired toppings. Enjoy.
- Total time does not reflect inactive time to chill ice cream and churn in machine.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Simmer, Freeze
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 329
- Sugar: 18g
- Sodium: 60mg
- Fat: g
- Saturated Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: vanilla, vanilla bean, ice cream