Take your typical panna cotta up a notch! My rich, creamy vanilla bean panna cotta is enhanced by the subtly spicy raspberry, pink peppercorn coulis.
- 2 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 envelope unflavored, powdered gelatin (scant 1 tbsp)
- 1/3 cup sugar, heaping
- 1 vanilla bean, or 1 ½ tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp pink peppercorns
- 2 cups raspberries, plus more for serving
- ½ cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Soften gelatin: Place cream, milk and gelatin in a medium saucepan and allow gelatin to soften for about 5 minutes.
- Cook cream mix: Meanwhile, split vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Add sugar, vanilla bean seeds and pod and salt to saucepan. Bring mixture to a simmer, whisking until gelatin and sugar have dissolved. Remove pod and save for coulis.
- Chill: Divide cream mixture among 6 greased ramekins or small, ungreased glasses. Cool slightly, cover and transfer to fridge. Allow to set up completely, at least 6 hours.
- Toast peppercorns: Add peppercorns to a small sauté pan. Warm over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until slightly fragrant. Transfer to a mortar and pestle or food processor and roughly crush.
- Make sauce: Add raspberries, sugar, reserved vanilla bean pod, salt and pepper to a small saucepan, and warm over medium heat. Stir as sugar dissolves and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook 5-7 minutes or until berries are broken down and thickened. Remove pod and discard.
- Blend: Transfer sauce to a blender and puree until smooth. Filter through a sieve to remove excess seeds.
- Serve: If using ramekins, run a paring knife along the edges to loosen the custard. Submerge ramekin halfway into a bowl of hot water for 1-2 minutes. Place a small serving plate on top of the ramekin and invert so custard transfers to plate. Otherwise, serve panna cotta straight out of glasses. Serve with raspberry coulis and fresh berries. Enjoy.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: ~1/2 cup serving with sauce
- Calories: 484
- Sugar: 31g
- Sodium: 96mg
- Fat: 38g
- Saturated Fat: 23g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: panna cotta, raspberry, vanilla