White Gazpacho or Ajo Blanco is a cold Spanish soup made of cucumbers, green grapes, almonds and garlic. It’s refreshing & creamy, & happens to be vegan!
- 2 English cucumbers, peeled & chopped (~4 cups)
- 2 cups green grapes, plus 2 tbsp sliced, for garnish
- 3 cups (3oz) sour dough bread, crust removed, cut into ¾ inch cubes, divided
- ½ cup blanched almonds
- 1 tsp minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp sherry or champagne vinegar, or to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, or to taste
- Kosher salt
- Chives, chopped for garnish
- Toast nuts: Preheat oven to 350°F. Place nuts on a parchment lined sheet tray and toast until golden brown, about 8 minutes, turning half way through. Cool.
- Blend & soak: Add cucumbers, grapes and garlic to blender. Blend until pureed. Stir in 1 cup of bread cubes and almonds and allow to soak and soften for about 30 minutes. Blend until as smooth as possible. Stream in 3 tablespoons of oil gradually while blending. Strain through sieve.
- Season & chill: Season with vinegar, lemon and salt to taste. Chill in the fridge.
- Make croutons: While bread and almonds soak in soup, add remaining 2 cups of bread cubes to a medium sized nonstick pan. Toss in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt. Turn pan to medium and slowly brown while crisping up, tossing frequently. Add remaining tablespoon of oil after bread absorbs first portion. Cook until dried out and crispy, adjusting heat as needed, about 15 minutes. Cool.
- Serve: Serve soup in bowls garnished with croutons, sliced grapes, chives and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup + 1/2 cup croutons
- Calories: 385
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 133mg
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: gazpacho, ajo blanco, cucumber, white