These blackberry crumb bars are buttery with just the right amount of sweetness, and layered with a tangy, fresh blackberry jam.
- 1 ½ lb (5 cups) blackberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups AP flour
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Zest of half a lemon
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes, chilled
- Preheat oven and prep pan: Heat oven to 375°F. Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with butter, line with parchment, leaving an overhang on two sides, and grease again.
- Make jam: Add blackberries, sugar and salt to a nonstick pot. Bring to a rapid simmer over medium heat and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until juices thicken and become syrupy. Keep in mind that jam will continue to thicken upon cooling. Transfer to a bowl and cool over a wire rack.
- Mix crumbs: In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, sugar, spices and zest. Toss in butter. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. The crumbs should stay together when pressed.
- Prebake crust: Add 2/3 of crumb mixture to the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Put remaining crumbs in the fridge. Press crumbs into a compact even layer. Bake 14-16 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Cool on a wire rack.
- Finish baking: Spread jam over cooled crust. Sprinkle over remaining crumbs. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve: Lift sides of parchment to remove bars from pan. Remove and discard parchment. Cut into 16 squares (I cut into 9 for photos) and serve.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/16 of pan
- Calories: 220
- Sugar: 19g
- Sodium: 187mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: berry crumble bars, blackberry crumb bars, blackberry oat crumble bars