Do you enjoy the flavors of a gingersnap but prefer a soft and chewy cookie? My Ginger Molasses Cookies are the answer.
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour*
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt (slightly less if using fine salt)
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix dry ingredients: In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Cream butter and sugar: In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine butter and sugar, and beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until light and fluffy. This can also be done using a handheld mixer or a whisk.
- Add remaining wet ingredients: Add egg and beat over medium speed until well-combined and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add molasses and vanilla, and beat to combine.
- Add dry ingredients. Mix in dry ingredients in two to three additions, mixing over low speed. Do not over mix.
- Chill dough. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or up to three days.
- Preheat oven and prep pans: Heat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with a silpat or parchment paper.
- Scoop and roll. Remove dough from fridge. Place a few tablespoons of demerara sugar into a bowl. Scoop dough into 1 ½ tablespoon-sized portions and roll into sugar. Place on prepared baking sheet, spaced two inches apart. Press down to slightly flatten tops.
- Bake: Bake in preheated oven for 9-12 minutes or until lightly browned and just cooked through, rotating half way through. You can bake one tray at a time on the center rack, or bake two trays at a time on the upper and lower thirds of the oven. If baking two trays at once, swap racks half way through, as well as, rotating pans front to back.
- Cool and enjoy. Cool on baking pan for 5 minutes, and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy.
For an extra chewy cookie, use 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour and 1 cup of bread flour.
Instead of rolling in sugar, you can also glaze the cookies. Once cookies are completely cooled drizzle with my Bourbon Vanilla Glaze or Lemon Glaze.
Bourbon Vanilla Glaze: Combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon bourbon, 2-3 tablespoons cream or milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract or regular vanilla extract, and whisk until smooth.
Lemon Glaze: Combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter, and 3-4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, and whisk until smooth.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 140
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 100mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
Keywords: ginger molasses cookies, chewy ginger molasses cookies, chewy gingersnap cookies, cookies, Christmas