My Asian-inspired coconut curry chicken legs are the perfect dish to warm you from the inside out. Ginger, garlic, onion, lemongrass, curry powder and coconut milk are some of the foundations to build the luscious sauce that coats these legs.
2 tbsp vegetable oil 8 chicken legs (about 4lbs) 2 tbsp butter 2 medium onions, thinly sliced 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 inches ginger, finely grated 1 lemongrass stalk, trimmed & bashed 2 tbsp mild yellow curry powder ½ tsp Kashmiri chili powder, or a mild chili powder & a pinch of cayenne 14 oz can coconut milk 1 ½ cups chicken broth, or as needed Kosher salt & fresh cracked pepper
Cilantro Scallions, sliced or curled Lime wedges
- Heat pan & season chicken: Heat a dutch oven or heavy bottomed nonstick pan with high sides over medium heat. Pat chicken dry, and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Brown chicken: Add oil to pan, followed by chicken. Brown on all sides, flipping occasionally, for a total of approximately 12-16 minutes. Cook in batches, if needed, to avoid overcrowding the pan. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cook onions: Add butter to pot. Stir in onions and season with salt. Cook approximately 10 minutes or until well-softened, reducing heat as needed.
- Cook aromatics: Add garlic, ginger and lemongrass. Stir in spices. Toast approximately 30 seconds, making sure to avoid burning.
- Add liquids & braise: Add chicken back to pan. Pour in coconut milk. Add enough broth to cover the chicken approximately ¾ or so of the way up the chicken. Partially cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer about 45-60 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Thicken sauce: Remove chicken from braising liquid. Cover and keep warm on a plate. Bring sauce to a gentle boil and reduce until thick and flavorful, about 10 minutes. Add chicken back to coat in sauce.
- Serve: Top chicken with cilantro and scallions, and squeeze over lime juice. Serve with rice or desired accompaniment. Enjoy.
- Category: Main
- Method: Braise
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size: 2 chicken legs
- Calories: 402
- Sugar: 4.9 g
- Sodium: 586.4 mg
- Fat: 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 10.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.4 g
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 37.1 g
Keywords: coconut curry chicken, coconut curry chicken legs, curry chicken legs, coconut chicken