Panettone Bread Pudding is a great recipe for using your leftover Christmas Panettone. This dessert is easy to put together and sure to impress!
- 5 cups day-old* panettone, cut into 1-inch cubes (loosely packed)
- 2 cups half & half*
- ½ cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- ½ tsp orange zest
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Dash nutmeg, freshly grated
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- ¼ tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- ½ stick (¼ cup) unsalted butter, cold, sliced
- Prep pan: Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Place bread cubes in prepared pan.
- Add wet ingredients & soak: In a large bowl, whisk together half & half through nutmeg. Pour half & half mixture over bread cubes, pressing down gently to make sure all the bread is coated. Allow mixture to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat oven: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Top & bake: Pour almonds over bread mixture. Bake in the center of the oven for 25-35 minutes or lightly browned, puffed and set with a slight jiggle. Allow to cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Make sauce: While the bread pudding cools, stir together sugar and brandy in a medium, heavy-bottomed sauce pan. Bring to a rapid simmer over medium heat, swirling the pan occasionally. Do not stir. Cook 3-4 minutes or until thickened and slightly syrupy. Reduce heat to low and stir in cream, vanilla and salt. Simmer another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and add butter to pan. Swirl pan until butter is emulsified.
- Serve: Spoon the sauce over the bread pudding, and serve immediately. You can also serve this chilled or at room temperature. Enjoy.
If your panettone is still fresh, cut into cubes and dry out in a 325F oven for about 8-10 minutes. The pieces should be dryer so they soak up the custard, but you do not want the bread to get browned and toasted.
You can substitute 1 cup whole milk and 1 cup heavy cream for the half & half.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian, New American
- Serving Size: 1/8 of pudding + sauce
- Calories: 609
- Sugar: 23g
- Sodium: 134mg
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 87g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 17g
Keywords: bread pudding, panettone, brandy