This Prosciutto Grilled Cheese is made using a special technique to ensure ooey gooey cheese and perfectly crisp, toasted bread. The taleggio cheese and figs make a wonderful pairing, but I also have suggestions for alternative fillings!
- 4 slices sourdough bread, or bread of choice
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened at room temperature
- 4 ounces taleggio cheese or alternative (listed below)
- 2 to 3 ounces prosciutto crudo, thinly sliced
- 3 fresh figs, top trimmed, sliced in half (peel, if desired) OR fig or apricot jam
- Prep the ingredients: Soften butter on counter or in microwave. Slice the bread and figs. Take out remaining ingredients.
- Toast bread: Heat a large pan over medium heat. Spread 1 tablespoon of softened butter on one side of each of the 4 slices of bread. Place bread in pan, buttered side down. Toast for about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Reduce heat to low.
- Add fillings: Divide cheese between the four slices of bread. Spread evenly. Divide prosciutto between 2 slices of bread. Divide sliced figs between remaining two slices of bread. Cover with a lid and allow cheese to melt for 1-2 minutes or until soft and gooey.
- Enjoy: Join top and bottom halves of the grilled cheese sandwiches. Slice in half, if desired. Enjoy!
- Pair this with my butternut squash soup or kale and apple salad.
- If taleggio isn’t available, swap it out for brie, fontina or mozzarella. Just keep in mind, fontina and mozzarella need a bit more cook time to melt. Add these cheeses to the sandwich halves right away, before the bread browns.
- To save time, don’t worry about bringing the butter to room temperature on the counter. Simply soften it in the microwave on power 2 or 3 in 5-10 second intervals.
- This recipe can easily be scale up or down.
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 630
- Sugar: 13g
- Sodium: 1060mg
- Fat: 41g
- Saturated Fat: 25g
- Unsaturated Fat: 16g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 24g
- Cholesterol: 130mg
Keywords: prosciutto grilled cheese, taleggio grilled cheese, prosciutto and figs, grilled cheese