Juicy seared Lamb Chops with Mint Pesto is a flavor-packed main course that comes together in no time. Pair with your favorite grain and seasonal veggie for a well-rounded meal.
- 8 baby lamb chops, frenched
- 2 cups mint leaves (plus more for serving)
- 1 cup basil leaves (plus more for serving)
- ¼ cup pine nuts (plus more for serving)
- 1 large clove garlic
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup parmesan (parmigiano reggiano) cheese, finely grated
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Toast pine nuts. Heat oven to 325°F. Place pine nuts on a parchment lined baking sheet. Toast 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring halfway through. Cool to room temperature.
- Take out meat. Bring meat to room temperature for 30-60 minutes before cooking.
- Make pesto. Add ¼ cup of cooled pine nuts to a food processer with the garlic and process until finely chopped and homogenous. Add herbs and a pinch of salt. Pulse until finely chopped. Stream in oil slowly until fully incorporated. Stir in cheese and zest. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place in a narrow jar and top with a thin layer of olive oil to prevent oxidation until ready to use.
- Cook chops. Heat a cast iron or nonstick pan over medium to medium-high heat. Pat lamb chops dry and season liberally with salt and pepper. Place in preheated pan and cook for about 2 ½ – 3 minutes per side for medium rare. Rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve. Smear pesto on serving dishes. Top with lamb. Garnish with mint and basil leaves, and pine nuts (optional). Serve with a side of grains and spring vegetables, if desired. Enjoy.
If you can’t find baby lamb chops, try loin chops or even a lamb steak.
A good substitute for pine nuts would be almonds, walnuts or pistachios.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Sear
- Cuisine: Italian, New American
- Serving Size: 2 lamb chops + 2tbsp pesto
- Calories: 640
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 340mg
- Fat: 45g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 54g
Keywords: seared baby lamb chops, lamb chops with pesto, lamb chops with mint, lamb and pesto