This is the BEST coconut ice cream you’ll ever have. The base is steeped with toasted coconut flakes to impart an amazing coconut flavor.
- ¾ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup coconut milk (not light)
- ½ cup whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven & prep pan: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Toast coconut: Spread coconut flakes evenly over baking sheet. Bake for a total of about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes after the first 4-5 minutes. Reserve about one third of the flakes for topping.
- Steep cream: Fill a medium sized sauce pan with the milks, cream, salt and remaining toasted coconut flakes. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat, remove from heat and cover. Allow to steep for 30 minutes or until mixture tastes noticeably of coconut. Bring mixture back to a simmer.
- Cook custard: Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy. About 3-5 minutes. Temper eggs by spooning about ¼ cup of cream mixture into egg mixture while whisking. Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly pour egg mixture into cream mixture, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk for about 3-5 minutes or until custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Freeze & serve: Pour ice cream base into bowl through sieve to remove flakes and any lumps. Stir in vanilla extract. Chill in fridge at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours. Freeze using ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Let set completely in freezer. Serve with toasted coconut flakes or desired toppings. Enjoy.
- Total time does not include time for chilling and churning ice cream.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Cook, Freeze
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 265
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 39mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: ice cream, coconut