This is the BEST coconut ice cream you’ll ever have. A base of coconut milk, cream and whole milk is steeped with toasted coconut flakes to impart an amazing coconut flavor.
This is the BEST coconut ice cream you’ll ever have. The base is steeped with toasted coconut flakes to impart an amazing coconut flavor.
- ¾ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup coconut milk (not light)
- ½ cup whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven & prep pan: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Toast coconut: Spread coconut flakes evenly over baking sheet. Bake for a total of about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes after the first 4-5 minutes. Reserve about one third of the flakes for topping.
- Steep cream: Fill a medium sized sauce pan with the milks, cream, salt and remaining toasted coconut flakes. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat, remove from heat and cover. Allow to steep for 30 minutes or until mixture tastes noticeably of coconut. Bring mixture back to a simmer.
- Cook custard: Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy. About 3-5 minutes. Temper eggs by spooning about ¼ cup of cream mixture into egg mixture while whisking. Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly pour egg mixture into cream mixture, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk for about 3-5 minutes or until custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Freeze & serve: Pour ice cream base into bowl through sieve to remove flakes and any lumps. Stir in vanilla extract. Chill in fridge at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours. Freeze using ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Let set completely in freezer. Serve with toasted coconut flakes or desired toppings. Enjoy.
- Total time does not include time for chilling and churning ice cream.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Cook, Freeze
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 265
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 39mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: ice cream, coconut