Seared scallops with fresh corn “polenta” and tomatoes is a highly impressive summer dish that comes together in less than 30 minutes.
- 8 sea scallops, feet removed
- 4 ears corn
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2/3 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon loosely packed basil, chiffonade or torn (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon loosely packed tarragon, finely chopped or torn (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for searing, or as needed
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Prep corn: Using the large side of a box grater, grate corn. Place corn, all of its juices into a small, cold pan. Place butter on top.
- Prep tomatoes: Add cut tomatoes to a small bowl. Stir in oil.
- Cook scallops: Heat a cast iron or nonstick pan to medium-high heat. Add enough vegetable oil to coat with 1/4 inch of oil. Pat scallops dry, and season with salt and pepper. When oil shimmers, add scallops to pan in a clockwise direction. Sear for 2 minutes on first side or until well-browned. Flip in same order as added to pan, and cook 1 more minute or until just opaque and cooked through. Remove from pan.
- Finish corn and tomatoes: While scallops cook, turn on pan containing the corn to medium heat. Simmer for 2 minutes, while stirring to incorporate butter, or until mixture has thickened. Season with salt. Remove from heat. Season tomatoes with salt and stir in chopped or torn herbs.
- Serve: Divide fresh corn “polenta” between serving plates. Top with scallops. Spoon over tomatoes. Top with additional small basil leaves, if desired. Enjoy.
- If you’re not sure what the foot of a scallop is, ask your fish monger to remove it. Sometimes they do this for you before they sell them in the store.
- Compari or cocktail tomatoes would be another good choice. Cut these into 4-6 wedges.
- In order to get a good sear on your scallop, make sure your pan is very hot before you add them to the pan. The oil should shimmer before you add it to the pan. The other important thing is to pat dry the scallops before seasoning them. Moisture on the outside of scallop will prevent browning.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Sear
- Cuisine: New American
- Serving Size: Half of scallops and sides
- Calories: 500
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 470mg
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 16g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 64g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 22g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
Keywords: scallop with corn and tomatoes, seared scallops, corn polenta, fresh corn polenta, scallops and tomatoes, scallops and corn