These brownies are dense, chocolatey and extra-fudgy. It took me a number of attempts to perfect this brownie base, but it was completely worth the effort. Trust me. The brandy-spiked ganache and spinkle of sea salt make them over-the-top delicious.
These brownies are dense, chocolatey and extra-fudgy. The brandy-spiked ganache and spinkle of sea salt make them over-the-top delicious.
- 1 stick cold, unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 5 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder (preferably Dutch processed)
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 4 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 tsp brandy
- Pinch of salt
- Fleur de sel (flaky sea salt), for sprinkling
- Heat oven & prep pan: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan, line with parchment paper (making sure it goes all the way up the sides of the pan) and grease again.
- Melt chocolate: Set up a double boiler. Fill a small pot with 1 inch of water and bring to a simmer. Place a bowl on top of the pot which fits without touching the water. Add chocolate and butter to bowl, stirring frequently, until melted. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and let cool slightly.
- Mix dry ingredients: Combine flour, cocoa, espresso powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Mix wet & dry: Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar together over high speed until pale and creamy, about 1 ½-2 minutes. Stir in chocolate mixture. Fold in dry ingredients until just combined.
- Bake: Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake 20-25 minutes or until tester inserted into the center comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs attached. Allow to cool over a wire rack for at least an hour, or until room temperature.
- Make ganache: Place the chopped chocolate in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream to a simmer over medium heat. Pour cream over chocolate and allow to sit for a few minutes. Whisk to combine and stir in brandy and pinch of salt. Pour ganache over the brownies in pan and spread evenly with a rubber spatula. the When ganache is almost set but still slightly soft, sprinkle with sea salt. This way, the salt will stick to the surface without melting into the ganache.
- Set & serve: Refrigerate brownie pan until cool and ganache is completely set. Remove from pan by lifting up, remove parchment paper and cut into 16 squares. Enjoy.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 218
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 71mg
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: brownies, ganache, salted