Cactus pears or prickly pears come in a number of varieties and colors. I used the sweet, deep red variety I see most commonly in grocery stores near me. It’s dense, watermelon-like texture and raspberry-watermelon flavor make it an excellent choice for sorbet. If you find yellow, orange or green cactus pears, I’m sure they’ll be equally delicious in this recipe.
Cactus Pear Sorbet
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 3 cups, 6 servings 1x
Cactus pears have a dense, watermelon-like texture and raspberry-watermelon flavor, which makes them an excellent choice for sorbet.
- 2 ½ lb cactus pears (about 7–9 pears), peeled and chopped
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Make sugar syrup: Combine sugar, water and salt in a small saucepan. Warm mixture over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Blend pears: Meanwhile, place cactus pears in a blender and pulse until smooth. Add simple syrup and lemon juice to pears and blend until combined. Pour mixture into a bowl through a sieve.
- Freeze & serve: Chill about 4 hours or up to overnight. Freeze using ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Let set completely in freezer. Enjoy.
- Total time does not reflect time needed to chill and churn sorbet.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Blend, Freeze
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: ½ cup
- Calories: 144
- Sugar: 19g
- Sodium: 33mg
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Protein: 0g
Keywords: cactus pear, prickly pear, sorbet
Tracey L Mitchell says
Can I make this without an ice cream machine
Sabrina Russo says
Hi Tracey. Yes, you could. One method without a machine involves stirring the sorbet once every 15-20 minutes or so as it freezes to encourage a smoother texture. Let me know if you ever try it out!
What about all the seeds ??? Can I still do this after I have in basically liquid form?
In the step when you put the mixture through the sieve, all the seeds get left behind. No worries!
Sarah | Well and Full says
This is such a beautiful, vibrant color! I’m going to be on the lookout for cactus pears the next time I’m at the store!! 😀
Thanks, Sarah! I’m so excited they’re in season now 🙂