Ditch the takeout tonight. Baking soda is the secret ingredient to make the beef extra tender.
Ditch the takeout tonight and take a crack at making pepper steak at home. Baking soda is the secret ingredient to make the beef extra tender.
- 1 lb sirloin steak, sliced in thin strips
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp dry Sherry
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dry sherry
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced in ¾ inch thick strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced in ¾ inch thick strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced in ¾ inch thick strips
- ½ inch ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Marinate meat: Whisk together marinade ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Toss in steak and allow to marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- Mix sauce: In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, sherry, sugar and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Brown beef: Heat a large sauté pan or wok over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to pan followed by the beef. Sauté 2-3 minutes or until browned on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cook vegetables: Reduce heat to medium-high and add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to pan. Add peppers and onions to pan and sauté about 2-3 minutes or until crisp tender. Add ginger and garlic and sauté 15-20 seconds.
- Add beef & sauce and serve: Whisk corn starch into soy mixture. Add beef with juices and soy mixture to pan. Toss to combine for 1-2 minutes or until warmed through and sauce has thickened. Serve with rice. Enjoy.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Stir fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: ¼ of stir fry
- Calories: 332
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 1191mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Protein: 32g
Keywords: beef, steak, pepper, peppers, onions, stir fry, pepper steak